History

Zion was the third baptist church to be built in Brynmawr in the first half of the 19th century. Calvary was established in about 1832, then Tabor in 1834 with Zion being opened in 1846.

The founding of Zion was the result of a division in Tabor in 1845 when the pastor and 103 members left to form the new church. Crawshaw Bailey, the Iron Master in nearby Nant-y-Glo, gave the pastor a loan of £1,000 to erect the building that now stands on the present site.

Throughout it’s history Zion has stood firm for the evangelical faith with a commitment to maintaining the truth as revealed in the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.